Monday, September 18, 2006

The Start.

If you're anything like me, even if things are going great, you may have a tendancy to always feel like the better thing is coming. Let me explain. In elementary school, things were great for me...but I couldn't wait till I was a teenager. When I was a teenager, things were pretty good, but things would be GREAT when I turned 16 with the licence... Then we wait for college, then we wait for graduating college, then we wait for marriage, then we wait for that one job that is going to be "THE JOB".

I have had these conversations with people, saying..."man I can't wait until the next thing". And, I have been constantly reminded by friends of the fact that God has given me today. They will say that I don't have to worry about tomorrow. And that really, all that matters right now... is right now.

But, even in the midst of this beauty of "now". I still feel like there will always be a sense of incompleteness with us. A desire for the greatness to come. And the bottom line is that I believe that this is o.k. God has given us a hunger for greatness, a hunger to be closer to Him, a hunger to experience His adventures...and we will always want more, and this is good.

Bottom line is this. Today is great. I can even be patient for tomorrow. But in the midst of this, I know with everything that is inside of me It will get even better. Great things are in store!

So, it is my hope that this blog can be a source of encouragement for you...it is my goal to give you pieces of my "now" whether they are going great or going not so great. I have notified you about this blog because you are important to me...so I will also put things on here that you can pray for me and Lindsey about. (Be sure to read the next post, that is below, regarding things you can already be praying about!)

Know that you are loved.

Jonathan

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well there you go preachin the truth again :) Perfectly appropriate that I would read this today as I have found SO many "I can't wait til..."s in my vocabulary lately. I can't wait til I can move to B'ham, i can't wait til i can quit this job, i can't wait til we're married....and on and on. I say that cause I really am EXCITED about those things, but I do need to be content where I am....i know, i know. Thanks though for validating that it is OK to feel like I'm not THERE yet. That's what HOPE is all about. It keeps you going.
ps....I'm glad you're doing this! Great to hear from you and I will be praying for you guys!

Lisa said...

Hello!! I am so glad to hear from you!! I will bookmark you so that I can keep up with you both.
We are getting excited about our Lost nights starting back up in a few weeks! When you come to town you know you have a place to stay any time you want!! We love you both....

Whit said...

I'm excited to read your thoughts. Let's talk soon.